The North State Building Industry Association's government and public affairs department works on behalf of the industry by advocating for public policies that promote a healthy building climate, so that well-planned communities continue growing to meet the region’s housing needs.
Few industries are as influenced by local government regulations, fees, and policies as the building industry. The NSBIA serves as the representative voice of members within its Northern California multi-county region.
Because of our industry’s impact on our region’s economy, the NSBIA’s efforts are particularly important. For instance, the Sacramento region's economic benefit from new home construction in one year was valued at more than $7.4 billion, creating 66,000 jobs, and generating $879 million in federal, state, and local taxes.
Our government relation’s team is tasked with strategically and effectively delivering information about the homebuilding industry’s economic impacts and job creation when we advocate on behalf of our industry. We receive input and direction from our policy councils (builder and developer councils) made up of NSBIA members with specific geographical interests and/or expertise on critical issues related to fees and land development.
Our Strategic Approach
- Providing effective jurisdictional coverage and proactively shaping public policy
- Building effective advocacy capacity in our collaborative partnerships
- Creating policy that benefits the industry and the community
- Engaging in political advocacy that supports our members’ interests
- Providing campaign support for business-minded candidates
2016 Legislative and Policy Focus
- Reducing fees and exactions on new development
- Improving entitlement and permitting processing in Sacramento
- Focusing on water supply availability and reliability
- Targeting policy reform regarding affordable housing programs
- Continuing to focus on Sacramento Area Council of Governments (SACOG) MTP and sustainable communities strategy
- PAC fundraising for an important election year
- Coordinating with the CBIA & NAHB on state and federal issues